The former name of the Malta Gaming Authority is the Lotteries and Gaming Authority. It is the gaming control board of Malta. It regulates land-based and online gambling services in its territory including Judi bola.
Established in 2001, it ensures fairness transparency to players. It prevents crime, corruption, and money laundering. The MGA aims to protect minors and players who are vulnerable. The Malta Gaming Authority is one of the pioneers among all regulators. It is one of the first to offer legislation regulating online gambling activities. The result is a secure atmosphere for players.
Among the many functions of the MGA are:
- ensuring all deposits and withdrawals are secure and enforceable;
- ensuring the randomness of results of all games of chance;
- guidance and cooperation in the application process;
- keeping the integrity of games and gaming devices by audits and independent testing facilities;
- licensing and regulation of gaming operators;
- monitoring of activities to ensure gaming is free from criminal activities;
- monitoring of licensee activities to ensure compliance;
- promotion of responsible gaming in a safe environment;
- protection of minors and vulnerable persons;
- protection of player funds; and
- safeguarding player rights by investigation of complaints on licensees.
The following main entities compose the Malta Gaming Authority:
Non-Executive Board of Directors
It oversees the strategic development of the Authority. It also ensures the achievement of the set policy and strategic objectives. The Board also takes care of policy development and risk management. An independent Chairman, who may or may not be the CEO, heads the Board.
Chief Executive Officer
The CEO’s responsibility is the execution and performance of the functions of the MGA.
Executive Management Committee
The CEO delegates the tasks of the committee. It handles the major functions of the MGA.
It assists the Board of Directors. Its functions include:
- ensuring good corporate governance;
- risk management;
- oversight of accounting;
- oversight of audit/accounting issues;
- internal controls; and
- reporting processes and audits.
This Council supervises and reviews the regulatory objectives of the MGA. It ensures the integrity, consistency, and development of the regulatory functions of the MGA. It provides oversight and guidance related to ongoing regulatory issues and strategic regulation. It also acts as an advisory committee to the Authority’s Board and management.
Fit and Proper Committee
Its responsibility includes the assessment of applicants for an MGA license. It determines whether applicants are fit and proper. Applicants should be free from the criminal probity aspect. Applicants should have the authorization to conduct gaming business activities.